Sunday, January 2, 2011

Removed a Stuck Disc from My Brother's PS3

My brother's Playstation 3 died on him just as he popped in a movie for the kids. Although you could hear the machine running, there was no menu, and it didn't respond to pressing the eject button. It was time to get the screwdriver.

Hole containing Torx screw

To get started I had to use a Torx (star) bit to remove the single screw that hides under a label and plastic plug on the one side of the unit. Once that screw was removed, the plastic cover on the top slid off revealing several Phillips-head screws. These screws are marked with arrows etched into the plastic.

Cover removed

Once these screws were removed, the top half of the PS3 folded over. It was attached only by a ribbon cable which I subsequently unplugged. The disc drive itself can lifted straight off the unit. It appears to have three screw holes, but they must be for alignment purposes only as there were no screws holding it in place. There is another ribbon cable that connect the drive electronics to another board on the main unit. I unplugged this cable as well.

The disc drive is the metal box at the top

The drive is wrapped in a metal housing. On the bottom are five small screws, one on each corner and one on an edge. When I removed these I was able to pull off the housing cover and access part of the transport mechanism.

Bottom of drive in metal housing

Top of housing removed

Part of the disc transport exposed

There is a disc in the center that contains a magnet, and it came right off. I tried moving the plastic arms to see if the disc (which I could just barely see) would come out, but it did not. I was forced to remove the last few screws that held the two halves of the drive together. Finally, I was able to retrieve the disc.

Drive halves separated

The exposed drive transport

Everything went back together without a problem, but the PS3 is still dead. I'll have to spend some time researching it if I'm ever to resurrect it.

No comments:

Post a Comment